Yoga Poses To Overcome Mental Health Issues
Since people have started working from home, there has been a constant rise in mental health issues like depression and anxiety. The work from home model has resulted in people working double their capacity that has negatively affected their lifestyle. The cycle of work-sleep-repeat has made people short-tempered, impulsive and impatient. The psychological effects of working from home and lack of time to rest and relax have led to an unhealthy lifestyle.
To overcome the negative effects and impact of working from home on mental health, it is important now more than ever to indulge in yoga. Yoga is a physical activity that can help you relax your mind as well as your body and recharge your energy. It can boost your mood and relieve the work-related stress that increases day by day.
On World Mental Health Day, let us have a look at the many benefits of yoga and yoga poses that can enhance mental health-
Benefits Of Yoga On Mental Health
With the negative impact of working from home on mental health, yoga is one of the most favourable and beneficial lifestyle changes you can take up. It incorporates meditation and dietary changes that can help you relax and rejuvenate your mind. On World Mental Health Day, let us look at the multiple benefits of yoga on mental health-
Calms The Mind
The main benefit of yoga is that it helps you to relax your mind from the negative psychological effects of working from home. The intricate postures and breathing exercises that yoga poses incorporate are known to calm your body and mind. It is one of the main reasons doctors recommend the practice of yoga on a daily basis. Doing yoga asanas benefits in fighting common mental health problems like anxiety attacks.
Helps Enhance Focus
Those suffering from issues such as Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder should definitely indulge in yoga as it would help them feel relaxed. The most important benefits of yoga poses for people with ADHD are that it directly affects focus and attention retention. Indulging in yoga asanas that incorporate breathing techniques can help control your mind and body and enhance focus.
Improves Your Mood
The benefits of yoga also include peace of mind, increasing concentration and improving your mood. Physical exercises such as yoga release healthy brain chemicals like endorphins and dopamine. These chemicals contribute to enhancing your mood and battle common health conditions like depression. Yoga asanas benefit to manage bipolar disorder which takes your mood to extremes.
Helps Build Confidence
The most important benefit of yoga is that it helps those suffering from self-esteem issues, a loss of confidence or self-esteem. These issues are often considered the basic cause of depression or anxiety. Indulging in yoga on a regular basis helps centre your body and deal with self-doubt, enhancing your confidence. The breathing yoga asanas benefits in thinking positively about yourself.
Lack of patience is an ill impact of working from home on mental health and common side effect of mental concerns like anxiety, depression and bipolar. This can lead to uncontrolled angry outbursts. Yoga includes numerous breathing exercises like pranayama which helps in cleansing your body and mind. Doing these yoga asanas benefits your sense of inner balance and improves your patience levels.
Yoga Poses To Enhance Mental Health
Some of the best yoga poses that help to combat mental issues are-
Anjaneyasana Or The Low-Lunge Pose:
Anjaneyasana is a great yoga exercise for mind relaxation. It is an intense version of the Warrior Pose and contains the elements of stretching, back bending and balancing. This yoga at-home pose helps enhance the blood flow in your body and eases your mind from all the work-related stress.
How to do Anjaneyasana:-
- While standing, lunge one leg forward.
- Bend the front knee, make sure your knee is in line with your ankle, stretch your back leg.
- Firmly press your ankle flat against the ground to maintain balance.
- Raise your arms to the sky and connect your palms.
- Breathe in deeply and breathe out in an even flow.
- Repeat 5 times per leg.
Garudasana Or The Eagle Pose
A standing, balancing pose, Garudasana requires endurance, strength, coordination and balance. It is a beneficial yoga exercise for mind relaxation that enhances your concentration. Practice this pose of yoga at home to prevent anxiety attacks and improve focus.
How to do Garudasana:-
- Breathe in deep, shift the weight of your body onto one leg.
- Slowly wrap one leg around the other.
- Lower your hips and gently bend your knees.
- Keep your ankle flat on the ground.
- Keep your breathing even and slow.
- Wrap one arm around the other at the elbows and wrists.
- Hold this position for a few seconds and release.
Natarajasana Or Lord Of The Dance Pose
Relieve work-related stress with the Natarajasana Pose. Preferably performed during the early morning, this yoga exercise for mind relaxation helps boost the energy levels in your body. An advanced yoga pose, it requires practice to get it right. You should practice this pose of yoga at home to control anxiety and depression.
How to do Natarajasana:-
- With both legs planted on the ground, bend one knee back; using your arm, grip the ankle.
- Slowly, keeping a steady posture, lean forward and lift your ankle towards the sky.
- Extend your free hand in front of you.
- Take 5 deep and even breaths.
Virabhadrasana or The Warrior Pose
Virabhadrasana yoga at-home pose that is beneficial for those with sedentary or desk-bound jobs. It helps them release all the work-related stress by relaxing the shoulders and lower back. It is a great exercise for mind relaxation that can also increase your stamina and bring auspiciousness, grace and peace.
How to do Virabhadrasana:-
- While on two feet, spread your legs wide, turn your hips to one side and turn your ankles to the side you are facing.
- Bend the front leg to a 90-degree angle.
- Stretch your arms to your sides and breathe in deeply and evenly for 10 seconds.
Adho Mukha Vrksasana Or Handstand
Adho Mukha Vrksasana is a basic Handstand that helps build a strong core and helps strengthen arms. You can enhance your strength and balance with this pose of yoga at home. It also helps you boost your body’s energy, build confidence and relieve work-related stress.
How to do Adho Mukha Vrksasana:-
- While standing with your ankles flat on the ground, bend forward to place your palms to the ground. Ensure your back is straight as are your knees.
- Begin to gently shift your weight onto your arms.
- Slowly begin to lift one leg straight up above your hips.
- Brace your weight and do it for the second leg.
For healthy living, it is important for the mind and body to relax and rejuvenate from time to time. On the occasion of World Mental Health Day, let us promise ourselves to take care of our mental health.