Dance is an art of expression and communication through natural, fluid movements. More than that, it is a way to keep your body fit and in shape. It provides mental and physical refreshment with a lot of entertainment. There are many benefits of dance on your physical, mental as well as social life. It is safe to say that dancing is a must-include in your lifestyle. You can enjoy dancing with a partner, on your own, or in a group. It can be practised as a social event, fitness activity or a competitive sport.
Dancing is an art for all ages. People who indulge in this physical activity can express themselves freely through movements and understand themselves better. It inculcates the skills of perception, concentration, and observation. Dancing also teaches you about diverse cultures and traditions through different dance forms.
Dancing is not only an art but is also a great physical as well as a mental fitness activity. It works on your muscles and tones your body. It provides your mind and body with the much-needed relaxation it needs and also enhances your physical and mental skills. Let us have a look at the physical and mental health benefits of dance.
Physical Health Benefits Of Dancing
From your bones to muscles to core and hamstrings, it benefits all. Let us have a look at the physical health benefits of dance-
- Enhances Flexibility: Dancing requires stretching your muscles consistently. Slowly and gradually, your muscles will get used to this and stretch with smoothness and ease. With each farther stretch, you will create longer lines, permanently expanding your muscles and become more flexible. You can indulge in difficult motions and movements with this increased flexibility.
- Improves Muscle Toning & Strength: Our daily movements like walking, climbing stairs, jogging, etc., occur in a straight plane. In dancing, you perform lateral and rotational movements, too, engaging different parts of your body. This improves your agility, balance, coordination and also strengthens your muscles.
- Improves Balance: Strong centre of gravity is required to execute each step and routine perfectly. With each movement and step you take, you improve your posture, flexibility, balance, and spatial awareness.
- Maintains Heart & Lungs Health: A great cardiovascular exercise, dancing helps enhance your strength, stamina, and grace. You will not feel out of breath easily, and your heart rate will stay steady for longer periods.
- Increases Strength & Overall Health: Dancing is good exercise. It strengthens your bones, muscles and increases your energy levels. With dance, you indulge in physical activity and prevent the risk of illnesses like diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and osteoporosis.
Dancing Benefits On Mental Health
Dancing is a good exercise for the brain along with the body. It is a great way to take your mind off the daily grind and provide an outlet for self-expression. There are various benefits of dancing on mental health, below listed are a few-
- Increases Confidence & Self-Esteem: Dancing encourages self-expression & develops social skills that enhance self-esteem and confidence. Dancing in groups provides an environment for individuals to associate and engage with other dancers and strengthen social bonds as well as reduce social anxiety.
- Makes You Expressive: Dancing provides an outlet to release difficult emotions and feelings through several routines the dancers learn during the dance sessions. Dancing is an art that expresses through body movements. You can express feelings and emotions through dance that cannot be conveyed in words. Expressing emotions and feelings through dance is one way to avoid depression.
- Reduces Depression & Anxiety: Dancing reduces levels of stress, anxiety, and depression. It provides relaxation from stress and tension. It elevates the chemical levels of dopamine and endorphins in the brain, responsible for the feelings of happiness and pleasure. Dancing also promotes the meditative state of 'flow' that allows the dancer to immerse wholly in body movements, rhythms, and music.
- Enhances Cognitive Ability: One of the dance benefits for mental freedom is that it helps exercise the brain muscles, and makes one free of their inhibitions and limitations. Dancing requires learning and memorizing various routines helpful in exercising the brain memory and enhancing concentration. It also inculcates the skill of pattern recognition. Dancing is a therapeutic routine that helps improve the quality of life.
Dance As An Exercise
Dancing is a good exercise and an upbeat and effective fitness routine. It provides a full-body workout and is fun to follow. A 30-minute dance routine burns almost the same amount of calories as jogging, between 130 to 250 calories. Dancing not only benefits your physical health but also boosts your mental health. People think of being fit and maintaining a fitness routine as a tedious task. But that is not the case with dance. Dancing is an art that provides fitness and is fun to follow.
The best and most effective dance exercise you can follow is Aerobics. Aerobics dance or freestyle aerobics is a combination of several short dance routines. It is practised by performing one or two dance movements at a time and repeating those movements in a single song. Aerobics dance is a high-intensity exercise that serves as a good alternative to gymming. Let us have a look at some of the benefits of aerobic dance-
- Boosts Stamina: Aerobics dance is a high-intensity, fast-paced dance workout that fills your body with energy. It makes you feel strong and boosts your stamina gradually.
- Betters Your Artery Health: Indulging in aerobics dance regularly maintains your cholesterol level. It also helps to keep the arteries clear and blood vessels healthy.
- Aids In Weight Loss: Aerobics dance is a great addition to your weight loss workout plan. It never gets boring since you get to perform a new dance routine on a different song every day. Aerobics dance is also a great fat and calorie fat burner.
- Enhances Respiration Efficiency: While performing aerobics dance, your lungs work the hardest after your muscles. Since it is high-paced and rhythmic, your body demands more oxygen while performing it. As you work out, your lungs and heart become stronger and healthier.
There are many more benefits of aerobics dance for your physical as well as mental health. You can choose from four different forms of aerobics dance- Zumba, Belly Dancing, Jazzercise, and Ballroom Dancing to indulge in based on your preferences. From the above-mentioned, Zumba and belly dancing are the most preferred aerobics dance forms amongst the people. Let us have a look at the benefits of Belly Dance & Zumba dance.
Benefits of Belly Dancing
Belly Dance is a graceful dance that involves many complex movements and isolation of various muscles like in the torso and abdomen. It is an ancient dance form with early recorded roots in the Middle East, the Mediterranean, and Northeastern Africa. There are many common misconceptions associated with this dance form. Many people consider Belly Dancing as the art of temptation, seduction, and entertainment. But if you dig a little deeper, you will uncover the health and physical benefits of belly dancing, along with the rich, cultural history it has.
- Builds Core Strength: To perform the art of Belly Dance, you have to engage your core muscles. There are various moves and exercises practised regularly to strengthen and build core muscles. A strong core helps the belly dancers to have a proper posture and controlled muscle isolation.
- Increases Self-Confidence: Belly Dance helps you embrace and celebrate the beauty of your body. It takes you out of your comfort zone in many ways and helps you challenge yourself. Belly dancing gives a boost to your self-confidence and self-esteem. And trust us when we say that it can be performed and enjoyed by people of any body type.
- Enhances Flexibility Of Hips: There are many hips and joint functions like hip circles, hip-figure-eight, etc., that enhances the flexibility of your hips. These movements are helpful for pregnant women to induce natural childbirth.
- Boosts Digestive Health: One of the major benefits of belly dancing is that it improves your digestive health. Since it majorly involves motions in the abdominal or torso area, it is like a nice massage for your internal organs.
- Refines Your Posture: Belly Dance requires a good posture, and when you practice this dance form, your posture improves gradually. A good posture can save you from back pain or other age-related issues.
Advantages Of Zumba Dance
Zumba is a form of fitness dance created by a Columbian dancer and choreographer Alberto “Berto'' Perez. It is an amalgamation of various Latin-American dance forms and the most-interesting form of aerobic dance. Zumba is a fitness dance routine that helps you stay fit, lose weight, get back in shape, and have fun! It is a proven stress-buster as well as therapeutic. Let us dive a little deeper into the advantages of Zumba Dance.
Burn Calories & Fats Instantly: It is essential to shedding calories in order to lose weight, and one Zumba class helps burn 600 - 1000 calories on average.
- Enhances Posture and Structure: The biggest advantage of Zumba dance is that it provides a full-body workout and works out all the muscles. It reduces the stress from the muscles, curing long-term muscle pain and enhancing your posture. It also burns calories at a high rate providing quick results.
- Increased Endurance: Zumba dance enhances the strength of your muscles. It increases your endurance to pain, allowing you to perform more counts of exercises such as push-ups or bench-press sessions.
- Makes You Socially Active: Since Zumba is a group activity, you meet many new people and communicate with them. Also, working out with a group enhances your performance and vice versa. It helps you socialize, stay positive and healthy.
- Improves Coordination: Zumba requires easy and comfortable coordination between your hands and legs. Basically, you have to move your whole body with the beats and that enhances coordination in your body parts. Zumba engages the upper and lower body together unlike any other exercise, providing a complete body workout.
- Provides A Full-Body Workout: Zumba dance provides a complete body with a single session. It is a fun dance activity that engages your core and abdominal muscles with every move. It strengthens and enhances the structure of your upper and lower abs, lower back, and obliques. It tones your lower body and builds up your upper body muscles.