A Beginner’s Guide To Crossfit
Over the years, Crossfit has become the talk of the town. From adolescents to adults, everyone is eager to try out the new fitness regime and experience the benefits it provides for themselves. Crossfit is defined by its intensity and difficulty. And though it doesn’t quite look beginner-friendly, we assure you that it is.
Crossfit is challenging and really pushes you to your limits. Due to this very reason, it is highly recommended than any other form of fitness or training. With proper care and guided training, you can indulge in this regime and reap its benefits. Below given is all the information needed that will help you decide whether Crossfit training is something you would like to indulge in.
What Is Crossfit Training?
Crossfit is a high-intensity interval training (HIIT) made up of functional movements. It is a strength and conditioning workout that consists of actions you perform in your day-to-day life, like squatting, pulling, pushing, etc. Many Crossfit workouts feature variations of squats, push-ups and weight lifting that are performed for a predetermined amount of time to help build muscles. Crossfit workouts are effective because they focus on the elements of load, distance and speed that help participants enhance their levels of power and performance. Crossfit exercises can be performed using different workout equipment such as kettlebells, dumbbells, medicine balls, speed ropes, etc.
Crossfit workouts work on enhancing the overall power necessary to perform the day-to-day movements. They help in developing muscle and strength and improving flexibility and stamina. Crossfit training is designed for everyone. Crossfit exercises can be decided based on everyone’s ability level. Each day, there is a set of predetermined exercises and everyone in “the box” A.K.A the gym completes the same workout.
Benefits Of Crossfit Training
The benefits of Crossfit training are many and it has become relevant to all types of fitness enthusiasts. Crossfit is an exercise philosophy meant to provide those who follow it with tight, tough, strong bodies and outstanding endurance. It combines several elements of traditional and modern workouts that suit individual needs. Below-mentioned are some undeniable Crossfit benefits-
Develop Outstanding Fitness Levels:
The major and biggest benefit of Crossfit training is that it helps you develop great fitness levels. With regular Crossfit exercises, you will be stronger, leaner, tighter and tougher in no time. You will also have enhanced endurance and confidence. What makes Crossfit workouts appealing is the effective combination of everything from cardio to brute strength.
Enhances Cardiovascular Health:
Looking at it from a cardio point of view, Crossfit training is one of the best workouts out there. A major Crossfit benefit is that throughout the whole Crossfit workout, your heart rate stays elevated which promotes proper blood flow. This helps in delivering oxygen and nutrients to long-neglected corners of your body. Crossfit benefits the other physical activities you partake in as well.
The benefits of Crossfit training are not just limited to strength and muscle building, they extend to enhanced flexibility as well. Since Crossfit workouts combine many exercises in one, you are working all the muscles, tendons and joints in your body and this helps promote a higher degree of flexibility. The increased flexibility due to Crossfit exercises will also help ward off injuries while indulging in sports.
Get Quicker Results:
Since Crossfit workouts are high in intensity, you get to see results much faster from your otherwise regular fitness regime. No doubt that indulging in regular exercise will positively affect your body more than sitting idle, but it will take a long time to see effective results. Crossfit training, on the other hand, produces results faster and the more dedicated you are to it, the quicker are the results seen.
While a Crossfit gym isn’t free of cost, it is certainly the most effective when it comes to fitness. A yearly regular gym membership does not yield results as potent as Crossfit training. With a Crossfit gym membership, you are guaranteed to get better results.
Aids In Weight Loss:
One of the biggest Crossfit benefits is that it burns immense calories. As you lose body fat with Crossfit exercises, your metabolism rate also picks up and begins to naturally process the food you consume more efficiently.
Types Of Crossfit Workouts
While there are many different types of Crossfit workouts some of the WOD (Workouts Of The Day) are the most effective. Crossfit training works on a predetermined workout of the day A.K.A WOD that is suitable for all. Some of the most beneficial Crossfit workouts are-
In Crossfit training, AMRAP meaning is “as many reps as possible.” In this workout, you are expected to do as many reps of the given exercise in a predetermined time.
EMOM stands for “every minute on the minute” and indicates that you will begin a set number of reps at the beginning of every minute for a given number of minutes.
The ladder Crossfit workout includes doing one or more types of exercises, increasing and decreasing the reps, like climbing a ladder.
RFT in Crossfit training stands for “rounds for time” and requires you to complete a circuit of different Crossfit exercises as fast as possible.
This Crossfit workout consists of completing eight rounds of high-intensity exercises lasting 20 seconds each, with 10 second periods of rest in between.
Chipper consists of doing a single exercise with a very high number of reps, such as 100 push-ups followed by 40 sit-ups followed by 20 pull-ups.
It includes running, biking, swimming at set intervals to increase endurance.
This Crossfit workout includes muscle-straining exercises using a kettlebell in various combinations, including snatch, press and grab.
Crossfit Workouts For Beginners
Crossfit exercises are said to be the most effective and can be done anywhere. A conditioning and strengthening workout for both men and women, it gets your body revved up completely. Below-mentioned are some of the best bodyweight Crossfit workouts for beginners that you can start with-
Burpees is a simple and effective bodyweight Crossfit workout for beginners. You can set a timer for 8 minutes and do as many reps as possible of this Crossfit workout for beginners. It offers a full-body workout and burns fat effectively.
How to do Burpees:-
- Start in a squat position with your knees bent, back straight and your feet about shoulder-width apart.
- Lower your hands to the floor in front of you and place them beside your feet.
- With your weight on your hands, kick your feet back so you’re on your hands and toes in a pushup position.
- Keeping your body straight from head to heels, do one pushup. Remember not to let your back sag or to stick your butt in the air.
- Do a frog kick by jumping your feet back to their starting position.
- Stand and reach your arms over your head.
- Jump quickly into the air so you land back where you started.
- As soon as you land with knees bent, get into a squat position and do another repetition.
2. Bodyweight WOD:
Doing a set of 10 of each of the below-mentioned Crossfit exercises is a fat-burning bodyweight Crossfit workout worth indulging in. It includes Air Squats, Push-ups, Sit-ups and Burpees. Make sure you do this Crossfit workout for beginners with maximum effort and intensity to get the best results.
How to do Air Squats:-
- Keep your feet at shoulder-width apart and pointed straight ahead.
- When squatting, your hips will move down and back.
- Your lumbar curve should be maintained and your heels should stay flat on the floor the entire time.
- Slowly let your hips descend lower than your knees.
- Resume to starting position.
How to do Push-ups:-
- Begin with your chest and stomach flat on the floor. Your legs should be straight out behind you and your palms should be at chest level with the arms bent out at a 45-degree angle.
- Exhale as you push from your hands and heels, bringing your torso, chest, and thighs off the ground.
- Pause for a second in the plank position, keeping your core engaged.
- Inhale as you slowly lower back to your starting position.
How to do Sit-ups:-
- Lie on your back with bent knees and your feet anchored.
- Tuck your chin to lengthen the back of your neck and interlace your fingers at the base of your skull.
- Exhale as you lift your upper body up toward your thighs.
- Inhale as you slowly lower yourself back down to the floor.
3. Running Sandwich:
This bodyweight Crossfit workout starts with a ¼ mile run followed by 40 Air Squats, 30 Sit-ups, 20 Burpees and 10 Pull-ups. Once you complete it, you have to run ¼ mile. It is called the running sandwich as there are Crossfit exercises included between two ¼ mile runs. This Crossfit workout for beginners can be easily done from the comfort of your home.
How to do Pull-ups:-
- Start by positioning yourself under the centre of a pullup bar. Reach up and grip the bar with both hands a little more than shoulder-width apart.
- Wrap your fingers over the bar and your thumb under the bar so that it’s almost touching your fingertips.
- Press your shoulders down and bring your shoulder blades toward each other, as if you are trying to use them to squeeze a lemon.
- Lift your feet completely off the floor, crossing your ankles. This is called a “dead hang.”
- Lift your chest slightly and pull. Draw your elbows down to your body until your chin is above the bar.
- As you lower yourself back down, control your release to prevent injury.
4. Push-ups, Pull-ups And Run:
These three exercises combined are the most effective bodyweight Crossfit workout. Include 10 Push-ups and Pull-ups followed by a half-mile run in this Crossfit workout for beginners. This routine will work the muscles of your entire body and enhance strength and endurance.
5. 5 Push-ups And Burpees:
Similar to the bodyweight Crossfit workout mentioned above, this routine as well does not require any equipment. Start by doing 5 Push-ups as quickly as you can and then indulge in 5 Burpees with the same intensity. End this Crossfit workout for beginners by running in place for a whole minute to relax and recover.
Crossfit Beginner Tips
Before you indulge in full-fledged Crossfit training, below-mentioned are some useful Crossfit beginner tips you must consider to make up your mind 100%-
When starting with Crossfit, refrain from comparing yourself to others. This might lead to a lack of confidence and motivation. When you see people doing better than you, remember, they too were once beginners and only after months and years of practice, are they in better shape today. Take inspiration from the people around you who are good at Crossfit and have years of experience. This is one of the most important Crossfit beginner tips you should keep in mind.
Stick To A Routine:
Another essential Crossfit beginner tip is to adhere to a routine. Building a solid routine and planning your workout schedule will motivate you to indulge in it every day. Also, planning your Crossfit workout schedule gives you the advantage of planning everything else around it.
Eat Good Food:
When indulging in regular Crossfit workouts, remember, junk food is the enemy. Good nutrition is an integral part of Crossfit training. Your body requires a lot of energy while indulging in a high-intensity workout and that is only possible if you consume nutritious and healthy food. Eating good and healthy food wraps up the whole experience of Crossfit training.