Best Core Strengthening Exercises You Must Indulge In
Building a strong core is beneficial for your overall health. A strong core doesn’t necessarily mean developing a six-pack; it has got a lot to do with your nutrition habits and fitness training. Indulging in regular core muscle exercises is essential for healthy living.
Core strength plays an important role in your daily life, whether you are working at your desk, doing some household chores or indulging in a new gym workout. Not only does it help in your everyday life but also effectively protects your body from injuries, reduces back pain, builds endurance and helps you gain confidence.
Below-mentioned are the 10 best core strengthening exercises that you must definitely indulge in-
Leg raises is one of the best core strengthening exercises you can include in your home ab exercises. This core muscle exercise helps lower the risk for back injuries, back pain and back strain while performing other exercises or routine activities. Leg Raises also enhances the flexibility, agility and strength of the hip flexors.
How to do Leg Raises:-
- Lie flat on your back with your legs stretched out in front of you.
- Bend the knees and raise your legs such that the calves are parallel to the ground and thighs perpendicular.
- Straighten the legs so that the feet point towards the ceiling.
- Keeping your back flat against the floor, slowly lower your legs towards the floor.
- Repeat 3 sets of 10-20 leg lifts. Start with 3 sets of 10 and upgrade gradually to 3 sets of 20 reps as you master the moves.
Reverse Crunch is one of the most beneficial core muscle exercises that targets the abdominal section of your body. It is one of the best core strengthening exercises that also activates the deep muscle below your abdominals and your external obliques. Reverse Crunch is undoubtedly a must-include in your home ab exercises.
How to do Reverse Crunch:-
- Lie down on your back with your legs straight. Stretch both arms out on either side of your body, palms facing downwards. This will allow you to use your arms to stabilize and help you keep your head and shoulders firmly on the ground.
- Lift your feet off of the floor and bend your knees in a 90-degree angle. Be careful to keep your feet touching firmly together.
- Breath in and then pull your knees inwards. Lift your hips off the floor as you push your upper legs against your torso and your feet point towards the ceiling.
- Breathe out and slowly bring your hips back down to the floor and your legs back to the original position.
- Repeat this movement 20 times to complete 1 set. Rest for a minute and then start the next set.
One of the most effective core muscle exercises, Flutter Kicks will be a great addition to your home ab exercises. It is one of the best core strengthening exercises that tones your lower body, is a wonderful calorie buster and builds endurance power.
How to do Flutter Kicks:-
- Lie on your back and extend your legs up to a 45-degree angle. Keep your arms straight and in line with the floor, palms facing down. Lift your head, neck and shoulders slightly off the ground.
- Keeping your legs glued together with your toes pointed, start lowering one leg.
- Raise your lowered leg and lower the other, focusing on keeping your core engaged.
- Continue the movement, alternating between legs.
Bird Dog is one of the best core strengthening exercises that effectively strengthens your core and prevents lower back pain. One of the must-practice home ab exercises, it is one of the simplest core muscle exercises that enhances core stability, shoulder stability, body awareness and coordination.
How to do Bird Dog:-
- Kneel with knees hip-width apart and hands firmly on the ground about shoulder-width apart. Brace the abdominals.
- Start slowly, as you lift one hand (left hand) and the opposite knee (right knee) just an inch or two off the floor. Try to maintain your balance on the other hand and knee, keeping your weight centred.
- When you feel steady and ready to move on to a full range of motion, point the arm out straight in front and extend the opposite leg behind you. You should form one straight line from your hand to your foot, keeping your hips squared to the ground. If your low back begins to sag, raise your leg only as high as is comfortable, while keeping your back straight.
- Hold this position for a few seconds, then return your hands and knees to the initial position. Switch to the other side.
- Aim to complete 5 strong reps on each side, 10 reps in total.
Abdominal Crunches is one of the most beneficial core muscle exercises that paves way for building abs. Not only is this one of the best core strengthening exercises, but it is also an effective home ab exercise for weight loss, makes your skin tighter and strengthens muscles.
How to do Abdominal Crunches:-
- Lie down on the floor on your back and bend your knees, placing your hands behind your head or across your chest.
- Pull your belly button towards your spine to engage your core.
- Slowly contract your abdominals, bringing your shoulder blades about 1 or 2 inches off the floor.
- Exhale as you come up. Keep your chin up and neck straight.
- Hold your body off the ground for a few seconds.
- Slowly, return to the original position.
- Repeat for 15 to 20 repetitions with perfect form for each rep.
One of the most helpful core muscle exercises, Toe Touches majorly targets your abs and is a must-practice home ab exercise. It is one of the best core strengthening exercises that benefits your back, hamstrings, flexibility and posture.
How to do Toe Touches:-
- Sitting on the floor, stretch both the legs and place your hands on your knees.
- Bend your upper body further to touch the toes.
- Hold the toes with your fingers and try to place both the elbows to the side of the knees. Touch the knees either with the forehead or the nose.
Work your oblique muscles and enhance your core strength with one of the best core strengthening exercises, Heel Touches. It is one of the most advantageous core muscle exercises that relieves back pain and strengthens your abs as well. Heel Touches is one of the easiest home ab exercises that you must indulge in regularly.
How to do Heel Touches:-
- Lie down with your back on the ground and your knees bent, pointed towards the ceiling.
- With your arms on your sides, raise your shoulders slightly off the ground.
- Using your abs, rotate your right hand down towards your right foot and then back up.
- Repeat the same movement with your left hand.
- Alternate back and forth for the desired number of repetitions.
Lower Back Extensions
Enhance your ability to coordinate movement through your lower back with one of the most helpful core muscle exercises, Lower Back Extensions. One of the best core strengthening exercises, it also strengthens your back, builds endurance and effectually prevents back injury. Indulge in one of the most functional home ab exercises, Lower Back Extensions, to perform other activities or tasks effectively.
How to do Lower Back Extensions:-
- Lie on a mat on your stomach and straighten your legs behind you. Place your elbows on the ground with both hands supporting your head from behind. Relax your shoulders.
- Lift your upper back, pressing your hips into the mat. Keep your head facing downwards. Hold this position for 30 seconds.
- Resume to starting position.
- We suggest you complete 3 sets. However, you can start with a lower number and increase over time.
Amp up your plank game with Dynamic Planks! This version of planks is one of the best core strengthening exercises, where you’re not just holding a plank, but working out your core muscles while moving. All of these core muscle exercises are plank-based movements and work out other muscles in your body as well. Indulge in the below-mentioned home ab exercises, Dynamic Planks, for greater results.
Plank To Down Dog
How to do Plank To Down Dog:-
Steady yourself in a high plank position. Align your shoulders directly above your wrists and your hips over your knees.
Tuck your toes under and straighten your legs. Your core should be engaged, and don’t let your back sag or your shoulders scrunch up toward your ears. Relax your head and neck.
Press your hips back. Push away slightly with your arms as you engage your core. You’ll be in an upside-down, V-shaped position. This is a downward dog position.
Repeat for 15 to 20 repetitions with perfect form for each rep.
Side Plank Knee To Elbow
How to do Side Plank Knee To Elbow:-
- Start by lying lengthways on your left side on a yoga mat. Place your left forearm firmly on the floor, ensuring that your elbow is directly below your shoulder and that your forearm is parallel to (in line with) the short edge of your mat.
- Extend both legs and using your obliques, gently raise your hips off the mat. Position your feet on top of each other with your right arm extended above your head. This is your starting position.
- Keeping your back straight, bend your right knee, hip and elbow to make your elbow and knee touch.
- Inhale and extend your right arm and leg to return to the starting position.
- You can aim to complete 5 strong reps on each side, 10 reps in total.
Low Plank Twist
How to do Low Plank Twist:-
- Begin by lying face down on a yoga mat. Place your toes on the floor. Put your forearms on the ground with the elbows directly under your shoulders. Lift your hips off the floor, stabilize your body with your toes and forearms. Make sure that you lift your hips up until your back is straight. You are now in the starting position.
- Tighten your abdominal by pushing your stomach up towards your spine. Slowly twist at your hips sideways until the side of your hip is almost touching the floor. Hold this position for a few seconds and then return to the plank position.
- Now twist your hips again in the opposite direction.
- Repeat for 15 to 20 repetitions with perfect form for each rep.
One of the most effective home ab exercises, Russian Twists engages your core and strengthens your abdominal muscles. It is one of the best core strengthening exercises that helps to tone and tighten your abs and obliques and to trim your waist. Indulge in this core muscle exercise for faster results.
How to do Russian Twists:-
- Start by sitting straight on a mat, with your legs extending forward.
- Slowly, bend your upper body backwards and thighs off the ground to position your body in a “V” shape.
- Hold out your arms in front of you and clasp your hands together.
- Clench your abdominal muscles, pulling your stomach in. This is the starting position. Make sure your spine is straight and not rounded.
- Now twist your torso to the right side until your arms are parallel to the floor. Hold the position for a few seconds and breathe out. Then, move back to the starting position and repeat the same technique on the left side.