The DIY trend has increased tremendously in recent years. It gives people joy to create something meaningful on their own. People are now even more interested in making their home decorations on their own rather than buying them online or from any physical store.
DIY enthusiasts are always keen on trying their hands at something new and enhancing their crafting skills. They work with all different types of raw materials and transform them into something miraculous. One such material is wood! It is versatile and a perfect one for a DIY craft!
Below are some DIY wood craft ideas that are simple and easy to make for beginners.
DIY Wooden Chopping Board And Serving Tray
Slice and serve in style with one of the easiest DIY wood crafts! One of the less time-consuming wood craft ideas, a wooden chopping board and serving tray will take up only a few hours.
Follow the given instructions below to make one of the easy wood projects-
- Gather three 20 inches x 3½ inches pieces of wooden board and two 23½ inches x ½ inches x ¾ inches wooden handle stripes.
- Start by marking the curves at the edge of a wooden board with a pencil.
- Now, drill ½ inch. holes at a distance of ¾ inch from the curved edge. Then, lightly clamp all five boards together so you can scribe the arcs on the ends.
- Take the boards out of the clamp and with the help of sandpaper, sand the arcs on each board. Once done, glue the assembly together.
- Unclamp the boards, apply sand on both sides and drill a ¼ inches deep, ¾ inches diameter hole at each underside corner. Glue in the two 5 inches x ½ inches diameter handles.
- Next, wipe on a couple of coats of Butcher Block Oil.
- Your wood DIY decor is ready to use!
DIY Wood Wall Art
Elevate your home decor with this easy DIY Wood Wall Art! Modern and beautiful, it is one of the simplest wood craft ideas that you can have as a decorative wall art in your living room. This is one of the most beautiful DIY wood crafts that can be made with scrap wood.
Follow the steps below to make this wood DIY decor-
- Cut the different variety of scrap woods into different sizes.
- Use a 3 inches x 4 inches plywood as a backing for the DIY Wood Wall Art.
- Next, assemble all the cut pieces of scrap wood on a plywood and adjust them to fit properly. Trim the edges if needed.
- Once done, glue down each piece one at a time, keeping in mind to stick the wooden pieces in a straight line.
- Next, measure the total thickness of your DIY Wood Wall Art and cut up 4 pieces of wood to make a frame. Once done, stick the frames to the wall art.
- Lastly, install some mounting hardware at the back of the wall art.
- Your DIY Wood Wall Art is ready!
DIY Pallet Plaques
Rustic and worn, DIY Pallet Plaques are perfect to display some of your most cherished memories. One of the most impressive DIY wood crafts, you can place it in your living room, study room, bedroom or even use it in the kitchen to hang the grocery list.
Amongst the easiest wood craft ideas, it can be made by following the steps below-
- Using a saw, cut a piece of 1/2″ x 3″ x 36″ wooden craft board into three 12 inch sections.
- Next, cut a piece of 1/2″ x 2″ x 36″ wooden craft board into two 8 inch sections.
- With the help of a hand sander or sandpaper, sand the edges and corners of all the pieces to create a worn look.
- Mix equal portions of water and paint of your choice and then, apply paint to each piece. Leave the pieces to dry.
- Once dried, simply place wood glue onto the back of each 2″ piece and glue these to the three 3″ boards on the top and bottom. Leave it to dry.
- Meanwhile, use jute rope, ribbon, twine or yarn to create a hanger for your DIY Pallet Plaques. Cut a piece of the desired material and staple each side to the back of the plaque.
- Now, secure a bulldog clip in front of the plaque with the help of a short screw.
- Your DIY Pallet Plaques are ready to hang!
DIY Raised Plate Shelf
With our kitchen storage becoming more and more compact each day, fitting everything in one place has become a lot more difficult. But worry not! DIY Raised Plate Shelf is the perfect solution for you and is definitely one of the best wood craft ideas to solve this issue of yours. One of the best storage-efficient DIY wood crafts, it will make your crockery easily accessible.
Follow the instructions to make one of the easy wood projects-
- First, measure the height, width and depth of the cabinet.
- Once done, grab your wood scraps and cut them into the desired sizes.
- Make sure to cut four pieces of 3 inches legs for your shelf.
- Sand each piece of wood thoroughly and attach the legs using the glue. Leave it to dry.
- Give the DIY Raised Plate Shelf a stroke of the brush with your desired choice of paint. Leave it to dry.
- Once dried, insert the shelf into your cabinet and get stacking!
DIY Wooden Shelf
If you’re looking for some DIY wood crafts for the weekend, then a DIY Wooden Shelf should be your pick! You might be wondering that a wooden storage shelf will consume a lot of space and shall not be visually appealing, however, this idea is amongst those wood craft ideas you’d love to hang on the wall!
Follow the steps given below to make this wood DIY decor-
- Take a one-inch wide wooden plank for your DIY Wooden Shelf.
- Now, drill four 10mm holes at the four corners of the plank.
- If you desire to paint the plank, brush it with a few coats of a basic white emulsion. You can also opt to leave the plank as it is.
- Next, drill two holes in the wall for the screw hooks or you can use wall plugs as well.
- Cut the rope into two 4 x 1m lengths. Insert each rope through the holes and tie a knot underneath the rope. Make sure it is very sturdy so it won't get undone.
- Tie the two other ends into a knot and hang them over the two screws.
- Your DIY Wooden Shelf will be ready!
Hand Painted Wooden Serving Tray
A Hand Painted Wooden Serving Tray is one of the best wood craft ideas and can be used as a wood DIY decor as well. One of the most beautiful DIY wood crafts, it is a perfect housewarming gift.
Follow the instructions below to make one of the easy wood projects-
- “Stain” your round tray using a damp rag in any colour that you desire.
- Dry the “stain” with a hairdryer or leave it to dry naturally.
- Next, start drawing a wreath pattern to the centre using white paint.
- Leave it to dry for a minimum of 12 hours.
- Once done, spray the entire tray with Polycrylic to protect the finish.
- Now attach 2 vintage handles and your Hand Painted Serving Tray is ready!
DIY Wood Box Centerpiece
A dining table is incomplete without a DIY Wood Box Centerpiece! One of the simplest wood craft ideas, it will definitely amp up your house decor.
Follow the steps below to make one of the best DIY wood crafts-
- First, cut all your 1 x 6 pieces then drill pocket holes. Cut two pieces with short sides, the next two pieces with pocket holes in each corner for the long sides and a bottom piece will for the base of the box.
- Now, use 1¼ inch screws to attach the short sides to the long sides through the pre-drilled pocket holes
- Then, place the bottom piece inside the box you’ve created and add screws to secure it. With the help of sandpaper, sand all the edges down smooth and wipe the box to remove any dust.
- After the box is built, you can leave it rustic as it is or finish it off with paint.
- You can add antique-looking handles as well to make it more decorative.
- Finish your DIY Wood Box Centerpiece by adding mason jars filled with colourful flowers and place it on your dining table or in your living room!
Homemade Candle Holder
Wouldn’t we all like it if we had a dedicated place in our home decor for candles! We came up with a perfect solution to this with one of the most exciting wood craft ideas, a Homemade Candle Holder with wood! One of the best DIY wood crafts, it makes for a great gifting option and an addition to the house decor.
Follow the instructions below to make one of the easy wood projects-
- Start by cutting your piece of wood to your desired length of the candle holder.
- Then, clamp your 2×4 piece to a work surface, any side facing up.
- With the help of a belt sander, start removing wood from the block in random areas to create a geometric shape. Turn your piece of wood as often as you need, making sure to sand pieces out of all four sides. Make the surface flat and smooth for the bottom.
- Once done, make holes for the candles! Take a driller with a ¾ inch bit and drill evenly spaced holes for your taper candles.
- Now, sand down the block’s fine details with the help of sandpaper. Get rid of the sawdust once done.
- Next, you can choose to leave it as is or paint it with your desired colour. If you decide to paint it, we suggest you leave it to dry overnight.
- With the help of a wire cutter, snip the heads of the finishing nails and hammer them in the holes on the holder.
- Stick your candles on these nails.
- Your Homemade Candle Holder is ready to use!
DIY Wooden Crayon Holder
Once the crayons come out of their box, they go inside with a lot of reluctance! This DIY Wooden Crayon Holder is one of the most hassle-free wood craft ideas that your kids will be keen to use! It is one of the simplest DIY wood crafts that serve as a beautiful stand for your kids’ crayons.
Follow the steps below to make one of the easy wood projects-
- Firstly, grab a block of wood and cut it into your desired size based on the number of crayons you have.
- Once done, make the holes at the top of the block.
- If you wish, add the word ‘crayon’ at the front in rainbow paint colours. You can customise the DIY Wooden Crayon Holder as you like.
- Insert the crayons in the holes and the DIY Wooden Crayon Holder is ready to use!