Almost every Indian knowns the singing legend of Bollywood, Kishore Kumar. He has breathed life into soul-touching lyrics and made some songs immortal. But do you know his life or all his achievements? Take a look at some of the lesser known facts about Kishore Kumar.
1. Struggle is a part of making of every great human being and Kishore Kumar was no different. He started his Bollywood career as a chorus singer at Bombay Talkies where his brother Ashok Kumar worked. While Ashok wanted him to become an actor, Kishore Kumar secretly harboured the dream to become singer instead.
2. Not many know that the Madhya Pradesh government instituted a new award called the “Kishore Kumar Award” for his unique and unforgettable contribution to the Hindi Cinema.
3. Here’s an unbelievable fact: Kishore Kumar sang in both male and female voices for a duet song ‘Aake Seedhi Lagi Dil Pe‘. This song was featured in the movie Half Ticket. The female part was supposed to be sung by Lata Mangeshkar but Kishore Kumar sang both the parts as she was unavailable.
4. Did you know that Kishore Kumar was maternal uncle to Bappi oh la la Lehri?! No doubt Bappi Lehri is so famous! Seems like the singing talent runs in the family.
5. Speaking about his achievements, Kishore Kumar holds the record for winning the most number of Filmfare Award trophy for the Best Male Playback Singer, for a record-breaking 8 times!
6. Kishore Da, as he is fondly known, also danced with Madhubala in the song ‘Paanch Rupaiya’. The duo latter married, making Madubala his second wife.
7. In a rather weird situation, Kishore Da kept driving a car from the shoot sets till Khandala because the director didn’t say ‘cut’!