Veganism is the latest diet trend that people are following immensely. The past few years have seen a lot of people switching to it, giving rise to a lot of vegan cookbook recipes, vegan restaurants and vegan dishes in hotels.
Veganism includes abstaining from the use of animal products, in diet and otherwise. People have found replacements for many ingredients including milk, cream, ghee, butter and what not! One such popular vegan replacement is of cottage cheese A.K.A paneer and that is tofu.
Tofu is nothing but paneer made of soybean. It is naturally gluten-free and low in calorie making it a healthier alternative. It is a good source of protein and tastes well too. Below, we have compiled a list of 7 simple tofu recipes that you enjoy making as well as eating!
Vegan Pad Thai Recipe With Tofu
Oh! So delicious, and one of the best vegan tofu recipes, the Vegan Pad Thai recipe is a must-try. A combination of different vegetables with a spicy-tangy sauce of the Vegan Pad Thai recipe will make you fall in love with the dish. Follow the instructions below-
Dry Rice Noodles - 150g
Silken Tofu - 200 g
Turmeric - 1/4 tsp
Black Salt - 1/4 tsp
Salt & Pepper
Shallot - 1
Garlic Cloves - 3
Carrot - 1
Spring Onions - 2
Tofu Puffs / Firm Tofu - 100 g
Bean Sprouts - Handful
Peanuts - Handful + For Garnishing
Lime - 1
Fresh Coriander - For Garnishing
Tamarind Paste - 2 tsp
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Soy Sauce / Tamari - 2 tbsp
Pineapple Juice - 3 tbsp
Water - 4 tbsp
Chilli Flakes - 1 tsp
- Transfer the rice noodles to a large bowl, submerge them in warm water and soak for 10 minutes.
- Next, add a drizzle of vegetable oil to a wok on high heat. Once hot, add the silken tofu, breaking it between your fingers as you add it to the pan to create a scrambled egg-like consistency. Add the turmeric, black salt, and pinches of salt and pepper. Fry for 8 mins.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the shallot and garlic cloves, thinly slice the carrot, roughly chop the spring onion and slice the tofu puffs into bite-sized pieces.
- Once the silken tofu is ready, transfer the vegan egg to a bowl. Wipe down the wok and return to the heat.
- Add another drizzle of vegetable oil to the wok and once hot, add the shallot, garlic and tofu puffs, and fry for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Next, add the carrots to the wok and fry for 1 minute.
- Drain the noodles and add them to the wok along with the sauce and cook for around 5 minutes or until the noodles are soft and ready.
- Stir in the vegan egg, spring onion and bean sprouts. Then roughly chop the peanuts and throw them in.
- Divide the Pad Thai between two bowls. Slice the lime into wedges and pick the coriander leaves off their stalks, then add both to the serving bowls to decorate.
- Garnish this Vegan Pad Thai recipe with chopped peanuts and serve hot.
Tofu Scramble Recipe
Give your regular Paneer Bhurji a vegan twist with one of the easiest tofu Indian recipes, the Tofu Scramble recipe - a quick fix for your hunger! One of the most suitable and best vegan tofu recipes for breakfast, the Tofu Scramble recipe is gluten-free. Follow the steps given below to make this dish-
Oil - 1 tbsp
Red Onion - 1, chopped
Garlic Cloves - 2 large, chopped
Green Onion Stalks - 2, chopped
Tomato - 1, chopped
Mixed Bell Peppers- ½ cup, chopped I used a mix of green and red
Turmeric Powder - ¼ tsp
Red Chilli Powder - ¼ tsp
Cumin Powder - ½ tsp
Salt To Taste
Extra-Firm Tofu - 200g, crumbled
Lemon Juice - 1 lemon
Coriander - To garnish
- Crumble tofu with your hands and set it aside.
- In a pan, heat oil on medium flame. Once hot, add the onion, garlic and green onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Then add the chopped tomatoes and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Lastly, add in the mixed bell peppers and cook for 1 minute.
- Now, add the spices - turmeric, red chilli powder and cumin. Also, add in the salt and mix until well combined.
- Add the crumbled tofu to the pan. Use a potato masher to stir so that tofu combines well with all the veggies and seasonings.
- Cover and cook for 2 minutes. Once done, drizzle the fresh lemon juice.
- Garnish the Tofu Scramble recipe with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Palak Tofu Recipe
Palak Tofu recipe is among the most delicious tofu Indian recipes. It is a dish that is tasteful and will make you sing in its flavours. Follow the instructions below to cook one of the best vegan tofu recipes-
Firm Tofu - 350 g
Oil - 2 tsp
Curry Powder - ½ tsp
Kala Namak / Black Salt - 1 tsp
Spinach - 4 large and Fresh
Coconut Milk - 1 cup, full-fat canned
Ginger Powder - 1 tsp
Salt To Taste
Garam Masala - 1½ tsp
Tomato - 1, diced
- Cut the tofu into cubes. Bring a large pan to high heat, add the oil, cubed tofu, curry powder, and kala namak. Cook until the tofu is golden and slightly crispy on the edges. Set it in a bowl.
- In the same large pan, add the spinach and cook it until it wilts. Then, reduce the heat and add the coconut milk, ginger powder, salt, and garam masala.
- Use a handheld blender to blend the spinach curry.
- Add the chopped tomato to the curry and let it cook on high flame for another 3 to 4 minutes until hot and until the tomatoes are soft.
- Then add the tofu paneer to the spinach curry and stir well.
- Serve Palak Tofu recipe with a bowl of rice or naan.
Tofu Kofta Recipe
A perfect addition to your dinner party menu, Tofu Kofta is one of the most flavourful tofu Indian recipes. Paired best with Paranthas, follow the recipe given below to cook one of the best vegan tofu recipes-
Tofu - 100 g
Potatoes - 3, boiled, peeled and smashed
Cashew Nut Paste - 1 tbsp
Cornflour - 1 tbsp
Raisins - 1 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder To taste
Salt To Taste
Refined Oil - 2 tbsp
Onions - 3, chopped
Ginger Paste - 2 tsp
Garlic Paste - 2 tsp
Tomato Puree - ½ cup
Turmeric Powder - ½ tsp
Red Chilli Powder To Taste
Salt To Taste
Coconut Powder - 2 tbsp
Garam Masala - ½ tsp
- Crumble tofu. Boil, peel and mash potatoes.
- In a large bowl, mix tofu, mashed potatoes and all the other ingredients listed under kofta.
- Make balls of the mixture and deep fry carefully. Keep aside.
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp. Once done, add chopped onions, ginger paste and garlic paste.
- Stir till the onions turn golden brown, turn off the flame. Cool and grind into a paste.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan, add onion paste, tomato puree, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt.
- Add a little water, if necessary, to make a thick gravy and cook for five minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add coconut powder and garam masala.
- Bring to boil, add koftas to the gravy just before removing from heat.
- Serve Tofu Kofta hot with paranthas.
Spicy Grilled Tofu Salad
If you are in the mood for enjoying something light yet delicious, Spicy Grilled Tofu Salad is a win-win! One of the best vegan tofu recipes, Spicy Grilled Tofu Salad can be made quickly and is quite filling as well. Follow the recipe below to make the dish to perfection-
Cayenne Pepper - 1 tsp
Garlic Powder - ½ tsp
Cinnamon - ½ tsp
Paprika - 1½ tsp
Red Pepper Flakes - A Pinch
Sriracha - 2 tsp
Soy Sauce - 2 tbsp
Canola Oil - 1 tbsp
Salt To Taste
Tofu - 1 block, sliced about 1 ½ inch thick
Dijon Mustard - 1 tsp
Balsamic Vinegar - 3 tbsp
Lemon Juice - 1 tsp
Olive Oil - ⅔ cup + Plus extra for the grill
Salt And Black Pepper
Salad Mix - 1 large bowl
Walnuts - ½ cup, chopped
Raisins / Dried Cranberries - ¼ cup
- In a large bowl, add tofu and drizzle in the spiced marinade. Coat the tofu properly and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 2 days.
- In a small pan, toast the cayenne, garlic powder, cinnamon, and paprika until fragrant for about 1 minute.
- While the spices are toasting, mix the sriracha, soy sauce, and canola oil in a small bowl, then add in the toasted spices and season with salt
- When ready to prepare, heat a grill or grill pan over high heat and oil it well to prevent the tofu from sticking.
- Once hot, place the tofu on the grill and cook until thoroughly coloured, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Remove from the heat.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the mustard, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking constantly. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the salad mix, walnuts, and raisins to the bowl with your vinaigrette. Toss well to thoroughly coat.
- Plate the salad and fan out the tofu on top to serve the delicious Spicy Grilled Tofu Salad.
Grilled Tofu Tikka Recipe
One of the best starters in the list of tofu Indian recipes, the Grilled Tofu Tikka recipe is easy to make. Follow the instructions below to make one of the most enjoyed and best vegan tofu recipes, Grilled Tofu Tikka recipe-
Tofu - 400 g, cut into 1" pieces
Red Onion - 1, large and cut into 1" pieces
Bell Peppers (Red and Green Each) - 2, large and cut into 1" pieces
Red Chilli Powder - 1 tbsp
Garam Masala - 1 tsp
Garlic Cloves - 2, finely minced
Ginger - ½ inch finely minced
Lemon Juice - 1 tbsp
Soy Yoghurt - ½ cup
Salt To Taste
- Add soy yoghurt, chilli powder, garam masala, ginger, garlic, lime juice, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Then, add tofu and bell peppers and onion and mix well to coat marinade evenly. Keep it in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours
- Assemble the marinated tofu, peppers and onion on skewers alternately.
- Cook them on a lightly greased preheated grill on all sides until well done.
Veggie Tofu Stir Fry Recipe
A quick-to-make and one of the best vegan tofu recipes, the Veggie Tofu Stir Fry recipe combines the freshness of vegetables and the deliciousness of tofu. Follow the steps below to make Veggie Tofu Stir Fry recipe-
Tofu - 400 g
Soy Sauce - 1 tbsp
Sesame Oil - 1 tbsp
Black Pepper - ½ tsp, freshly ground
Cornstarch - 2 tbsp
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil - 3 tbsp, divided
Garlic Cloves - 3, minced
Ginger - 1 tbsp, minced
String Beans - 200 g, trimmed
Carrots - 2, sliced
Broccoli - 1, cut into florets
Red Bell Pepper- 1, seeded and sliced
Green Onions - 2, thinly sliced
Soy Sauce - 2 tbsp
Sesame Oil - 2 tbsp
Brown Sugar - 2 tbsp
Cornstarch - 2 tsp
- Cut tofu into bite-sized pieces, then toss together with soy sauce, sesame oil, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Toss tofu with cornstarch once the liquids are absorbed.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large skillet on medium flame. Add tofu and let cook until golden on all sides, turning occasionally for about 7 to 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Once done, remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and add in garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant for about 1 minute. Stir in string beans, carrots, broccoli, red pepper, and green onions. Cook until tender for about 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir together soy sauce, sesame oil, water, brown sugar, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Return the tofu to the skillet and add the sauce mixture to the pan. Stir and cook until slightly thickened for about 2 minutes.
- Serve Veggie Tofu Stir Fry recipe hot!