The ‘King’ of Telugu cinema is making a Bollywood comeback in Ayan Mukerji’s upcoming superhero fantasy film Brahmastra after nearly 15 years. The Tollywood superstar has wooed audiences through his performance in blockbuster like Siva, Boss, Rajanna and many more hits. Here are some fun facts about Nagarjuna to reacquaint yourself with the talented actor that you weren’t aware of.
1. Akkineni Nagarjuna who is also known as Nag was born in Chennai, Tamil Nadu to legendary Telugu actor Akkineni Nageswara Rao who was popularly known as ANR.
2. He made his debut in the Tollywood industry in the 1967 movie ‘Sudigundalu’ as a child artist alongside his father who acted in the lead role in that movie.
3. Superstar Akkineni Nagarjuna shared the screen for the last time with his late father ANR in the 2014 movie Manam which starred the entire Nagarjuna clan. Akkineni Nageswara Rao appeared alongside his real life son & grandson Akkineni Nagarjuna, Akkineni Naga Chaitanya and Samantha Akkineni in the lead roles. Nagarjuna’s wife Amala Akkineni and younger son Akkineni Akhil made cameo appearances in the movie as well.
4. Nagarjuna has performed in not only Tollywood and Bollywood, but also in Kollywood with his showreel including over ninety movies. The superstar has bagged two National Film Awards, Nine Nandi Awards and three Filmfare Awards South.
5. In 2009, Nagarjuna dipped his toes in television for the first time as the television producer of series called Yuva. He even hosts the Telugu version of Kaun Banega Crorepati – Meelo Evaru Koteeswarudu which featured of Maa TV, a television channel where he is a major shareholder.
6. Blue Cross of Hyderabad is founded by Nagarjuna and his wife Amala. This non-profit organization focuses on animal welfare and preservation of animal rights. He is also heavily involved in welfare programs undertaken by the Maa TV association and serves as a brand ambassador for HIV/AIDs awareness campaigns.