Veteran Indian actress Aruna Irani has shared her brilliance with us in over 400 films, a career not many can boast of. Here are some lesser known facts about the versatile actress who has wowed us yet over the decades.
1. Aruna Irani is a child artist who began her career in hit films like the 1961 Ganga Jumna and the 1962 movie Anpadh where she played Mala Sinha’s childhood character. She later when on to do several small roles in the 1960’s before starring with comedian Mehmood Ali in films like Aulad (1968), Devi (1970) among others.
2. She was one of the first leading ladies in the 1972 film Bombay To Goa. Her performance in the Amitabh Bachchan’s starrer and as ‘Nisha’ from the 1971 movie Caravan caught her the attention of critics and moviegoers.
3. Speaking of the movie Caravan and recognition, Aruna has delivered some unforgettable performance over the years. Her performance in the movie Caravan, the 1973 movie Bobby and the 1975 Do Jhoot got her the Filmfare Supporting Actress Award nomination. It was finally her performance in the 1984 Pet Pyaar Aur Paap that won her first Filmfare Supporting Actress award and she later went on to bag her second award for the 1992 Beta.
4. Whilst in her 30’s, as assignments in Hindi cinema started to thin down. She turned to Gujarati films, producing and acting in many over the years. Her love and passion for acting has allowed the brilliant actress to share her talent and stay relevant with her audiences not only on the big screen but also allowed us see her on television performing characters in a number of serials.
5. In 2012, her lifelong love with the industry was recognized as she accepted Filmfare’s Lifetime Achievement Award in Mumbai.